Project

« Back

MARITIME QUARANTINE-LAZARETI

MARITIME QUARANTINE-LAZARETI
Dubrovnik, Croatia
+ More
BACKGROUND

Between the 14th and 16th centuries, Dubrovnik was a key hub in the trade between the Ottoman Empire and the West, and its lazaret, or quarantine station, was built in 1627 to isolate the ill and prevent plagues from entering the city through people on the ships entering its port. The walls surrounding the complex were added in the 18th century following the outbreak of a deadly epidemic. (...)

+ More
HOW WE HELPED

WMF, with support from American Express, funded the roof restoration, protected the interior of the complex from further damage. The project also created a student design workshop and rotating artistic spaces within the structure. Inclusion in the 2002 Watch helped the project attract local support and heighten its visibility in the local community. (...)

+ More
WHY IT MATTERS

The Dubrovnik lazareti is one of the only remaining and best preserved examples of its kind in Europe, and the only example of a maritime lazaret in the Mediterranean. Its survival with a large portion of its original materials, details, shape, and structure is unusual. (...)