Project

« Back

SAN FRANCISCO DE TZINTZUNZAN CONVENT

SAN FRANCISCO DE TZINTZUNZAN CONVENT
Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, Mexico
+ More
BACKGROUND

San Francisco de Tzintzuntzan Convent was the first foundation of the Franciscan Order in New Spain created for the conversion of the indigenous population to Christianity. Begun in 1525, the Franciscan convent was completed 71 years later under the direction of Vasco de Quiroga, the first bishop of Michoacán. (...)

+ More
HOW WE HELPED

The convent complex was included on the 2004 World Monuments Watch. Following Watch-listing, WMF supported the stabilization and conservation of one of the complex’s exterior walls, as well as the restoration of the west wing of the former sacristy, the part of the complex with the greatest risk of collapse. Other work was carried out by the Escuela-Taller Michoacán. (...)

+ More
WHY IT MATTERS

The former convent complex of Tzintzuntzan was designated as a historic monument by the Law on Archeological, Artistic and Historic Monuments and Zones in 1972. The courtyard, called Atrio de los olivos, contains the oldest olive trees in the region, planted by Quiroga. (...)