|Ratan Tata Receives 23rd Hadrian Award|
WMF presented Ratan Tata and the Tata family with the 2010 Hadrian Award in recognition of their leadership in the restoration and protection of India's cultural heritage. More than 300 guests attended the gala at the Plaza Hotel in New York City. Mr. Tata (center) was presented with the award by WMF Chairman Chris Ohrstrom (left) and WMF President Bonnie Burnham (right).
|"The Emperor's Private Paradise" Opens|
A new exhibition of objects traveling from the Qianlong Garden in Beijing's Forbidden City, while WMF and the Palace Museum undertake conservation work, is on view at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA. The 90 objects, never before seen by the general public, were personal possessions of the Qianlong Emperor, among the richest and most powerful men of the 18th century. The exhibition is in Salem through January 9, 2011, and opens at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York on February 1.
|2010 Modernism Prize Winner Announced |
The 2010 WMF/Knoll Modernism Prize will be awarded to Wessel de Jonge Architecten and Bierman Henket Architecten for their joint restoration of Zonnestraal Sanatorium in Hilversum, The Netherlands. The architects will give a talk on the building and the restoration at the Museum of Modern Art in New York on November 18, but space is limited, so please RSVP by November 8.
| Strawberry Hill Opening to the Public
Horace Walpole's 18th-century Gothic Revival villa, Strawberry Hill
, is now open to the public following a £9 million restoration. The two-year campaign that finished recently was part of a much longer endeavor to save the property dating back to the early 1990s. It was on the Watch in 2004.
|New Visitor Center for Brancusi Ensemble |
A new visitor center in Tārgu Jiu, Romania, is set to open near famed sculptor Constantin Brancusi's Endless Column ensemble. The center will introduce visitors to the site and city and also provide facilities to hold cultural events for the community. The massive cast-iron Endless Column was completed in 1937 as a memorial to a 1916 battle in the town. The following year two stone sculptures were added, the Table of Silence and the Gate of the Kiss, completing the ensemble.