Position Title: Media Relations Manager
Direct Report: Vice President of Communications
I. Position Summary
WMF seeks a skilled and thoughtful communicator to join our team as Media Relations Manager. Under the supervision of the Vice President of Communications, the Media Relations Manager acts as the key press liaison for the World Monuments Fund. This person plans and implements strong and effective campaigns to publicize the World Monuments Fund’s activities through local, national, and international channels. The Media Relations Manager identifies stories and pitches and places in the media via the development of pitch letters, news releases and/or web stories.
- Maintain and utilize strong media relationships with journalists in the US and international markets to regularly secure earned media placements around projects and organizational news, including the biennial World Monuments Watch
- Create and execute press strategies for major milestones or announcements, including writing press releases and pitches, building targeted short and long lead press lists, and coordinating interviews and site visits/materials
- Work closely with program staff to collect information pertinent to reporters' inquiries and make the information understandable to journalist and the public
- Act as a clearinghouse for incoming media requests for interviews and images
- Handle inbound media, press and other inquiries and provide timely responses
- Media monitoring, tracking and development of media results reports
- Administrative tasks, including media list maintenance coordination with monitoring and news services, and management of news clip files
- Compile research on the impact of heritage preservation to support evidence-based arguments on the value of WMF’s mission
- Coordinate with project partners to align communications strategy and outreach
- Continue to refine messaging to reflect organizational priorities
Crisis Communications and Advocacy
- Lead communications planning and response efforts to position WMF as a thought leader during newsworthy moments of crisis or global attention, including earned media placement, op-ed drafting and placement, and digital strategy
- Plan and execute crisis communications efforts when needed to maintain WMF’s strong reputation
- Oversee WMF’s advocacy related social media statements
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or related field with 3 years of related experience
- Strong oral and copywriting skills; ability to write under pressure for multiple campaigns and platforms simultaneously
- Understanding of primary social media platforms
- The drive to take initiative and work independently while also working as a team player who is collaborative, positive, and flexible
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Sensitive to political context and ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies at all levels
- Knowledge of historic preservation and international relations
- Experience running advocacy campaigns a plus
IV. EEO Statement
The World Monuments Fund provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, genetics, creed, national origin, age, disability, marital and/or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. The World Monuments Fund is a NY State at-will employer. In addition to federal law requirements, World Monuments Fund also complies with all other applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities and or operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
V. Compensation and Benefits
The World Monuments Fund offers a comprehensive and highly competitive compensation and benefits package, including paid time off, wellness and sick time off, holiday time off, and a multitude of other insurance benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and a fully comprehensive retirement plan.
The salary range for this position will be within the $70,000 to $80,000 range annually, based on commensurate experience.
VI. Application Procedure
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted.
No Phone Calls.