World Monuments Fund (WMF) seeks a skilled and thoughtful communicator to join our team as Media Relations Officer. Under the supervision of the Vice President of Communications, the Media Relations Officer acts as the key press liaison for WMF. This person plans and implements strong and effective campaigns to publicize WMF’s activities through local, national, and international channels. The Media Relations Officer identifies stories and pitches and places in the media via the development of pitch letters, news releases and/or web stories.
- Maintain and utilize strong media relationships with journalists in the US and international markets to regularly secure earned media placements around projects and organizational news, including the biennial World Monuments Watch
- Create and execute press strategies for major milestones or announcements, including writing press releases and pitches, building targeted short and long lead press lists, and coordinating interviews and site visits/materials
- Work closely with program staff to collect information pertinent to reporters' inquiries and make the information understandable to journalists and the public
- Act as a clearinghouse for incoming media requests for interviews and images
- Handle inbound media, press, and other inquiries and provide timely responses
- Media monitoring, tracking, and development of media results reports
- Administrative tasks, including media list maintenance coordination with monitoring and news services, and management of news clip files
- Compile research on the impact of heritage preservation to support evidence-based arguments on the value of WMF’s mission
- Coordinate with project partners to align communications strategy and outreach
- Continue to refine messaging to reflect organizational priorities
Crisis Communications & Advocacy
- Lead communications planning and response efforts to position WMF as a thought leader during newsworthy moments of crisis or global attention, including earned media placement, op-ed drafting and placement, and digital strategy
- Plan and execute crisis communications efforts when needed to maintain WMF’s strong reputation
- Oversee WMF’s advocacy related social media statements in coordination with the Digital Marketing Manager
- Maintain media-related resources on wmf.org
- Assistance with drafting select blog posts, collateral material, website content.
- Major role in Watch Magazine content production
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or related field with 3 years of related experience
- Strong oral and copywriting skills; ability to write under pressure for multiple campaigns and platforms simultaneously
- Understanding of primary social media platforms
- The drive to take initiative and work independently while also working as a team player who is collaborative, positive, and flexible
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Sensitive to the political context and ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies at all levels
- Knowledge of historic preservation and international relations
- Experience running advocacy campaigns a plus
Vice President of Communications
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience, including excellent benefits package that includes, medical, dental, life, 403B and more.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Candidates must have the authorization to work in the United States. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
World Monuments Fund is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. WMF is an at-will employer.
World Monuments Fund’s mission is to preserve the world’s architectural heritage of significant monuments, buildings, and sites. In partnership with local communities, funders, and governments, WMF seeks to inspire an enduring commitment to stewardship for future generations.