Touring Exhibition: Zanzibar, Christ Church Cathedral, and the Last Slave Market
The last permanent slave market in East Africa was in Zanzibar (Tanzania) and was closed in 1873. In 1879, British missionaries built Christ Church Cathedral at the site, and today it is the most significant marker of what occurred at that place. Zanzibar’s tropical climate took its toll on the building and by the time World Monuments Fund Britain (WMFB) became involved, the cathedral was in danger of collapse. In 2013, the Anglican Diocese of Zanzibar and the Zanzibar Government asked World Monuments Fund to help protect this site of conscience. WMFB was awarded a grant from the European Union to repair the cathedral and create a heritage center commemorating the abolition of slavery. WMFB has created a touring exhibition about the project that will tour around the United Kingdom in 2015. Here are the informational panels from the exhibition.