A Walk Around Darya Ganj and Sunehri Masjid
The name Daryaganj (Darya – river; ganj – wholesale market) suggests that this was originally a wholesale mart for grains and other bulk goods that came to Delhi on the river Yamuna, which flowed just below the city walls on the east. On the west, Daryaganj was bounded by a prominent market street – Faiz Bazar – which had shady trees and a central stream of running water. Though in later centuries this area came to be quite densely puopulated, the Revolt of 1857 had a catastrophic impact on this locality. Much of the British and Eurasian population, concentrated in this area, became victims of the revolt. Later, when the British recaptured the city, many of the stately homes belonging to Indian nobles were confiscated. Much of the subsequent redevelopment of the area took place in the early 20th century, and there are many interesting buildings representative of the 1920s-40s, besides its older structures.