- Get Involved
- About Us
- Our Projects
- The Watch
- Dig Deeper
Become an Everyday Preservationist
World Monuments Fund sends preservation experts to endangered sites all over the world, but there are things you can do closer to home to help save the world's most treasured places. Becoming an everyday preservationist is as easy as sharing something special about your hometown, a favorite vacation spot, or someplace you've always wanted to visit. Here are some other ways you can help:
- Adaptive reuse is one of the best ways to ensure that important sites are well cared for. Support businesses and organizations that are housed in historic structures.
- Thoughtful tourism is crucial to protect important monuments. When you travel, help ease the strain on popular destinations by visiting at off hours or choosing alternative sites. Read more about how to travel sustainably.
- Traditional building methods are sometimes the best way to preserve historic structures. Support local craftspeople like stonemasons and woodworkers and help them pass on their knowledge to a new generation of apprentices.
- Sensitive urban development is vital to save threatened sites around the world. Encourage elected officials to protect sites that mean the most to your community with landmark designations and other incentives to protect them.
- All endangered monuments need advocates. WMF offers many ways for you to get involved. Each small step helps raise awareness about the importance of heritage preservation.